Sunday, January 3, 2010

Best Banana Bread


Taken from the Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook that my grandma got me for Christmas. :) Yay!! Thanks grandma!! It was just something I decided to do to occupy my time after dinner tonight. After it was out of the oven and on the rack, my mom and I went on a walk while waiting for it to cool. Of course, when I got back I just had to try it, it just smelled too good! I cut the first slice and shared half with my mom, but had no choice but to go back for another slice, my taste buds were screaming. It'll most likely be my breakfast tomorrow morning.

Makes 1 loaf.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 very rip bananas
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for pan
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped (optional - I only didn't add these due to allergies :( but the recipe called for it, I'm sure it'd be even better with it, but the bread turned out fine without it too. )

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly butter bottom and sides of a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan; lightly coat with flour.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, mash bananas with sour cream or yogurt until blended. In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer on high speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined.
3. Fold banana mixture into batter until blended. Lightly fold in dry ingredients and walnuts until just combined. Batter will be chunky. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake about 1 hour, until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pan to loosen bread. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for a good banana bread recipe. Will have to give yours a try. I just bought bananas so have to wait for them to ripen. I like the addition of the sour cream and the added vanilla. I'll bet this was good! Can't wait to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love baking with sour cream. Your banana bread sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete