Don't let the name "cabbage" spoil this recipe for you! Its actually really good, and really good for you. Light and filling, its a soup that can easily be frozen for a few weeks and saved for a rainy, lazy day when cooking is just not part of your schedule.
6 large green onions, sliced
2 green peppers, cut into bite sized pieces
1-2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
3 carrots, chopped
1 container (about 10 oz) mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch of celery
half a head of cabbage
1 package Lipton soup mix
1-2 cubes bouillon (optional)
1 48 oz can V8 juice (optional)
season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder etc (we've discovered that spices such as rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, dill leaves, chives, marjoram, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper work best)
1.Saute the green onions, pepper in a pot with cooking spray.
2. Take the outer leaf layers off the cabbage, cut into bite sized pieces, add to pot.
3. Clean carrots, cut into bite sized pieces, add to pot.
4. Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot.
5. You can use beef or chicken bullion cubes for seasoning.
6. Use about 12 cups of cold water (or 8 cups of the V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup cook for about 2 hours. Season to taste w/ salt and pepper.